Welcome to Lightening's Blogworld! A place where I blog about all things blogging, including blog reviews! I am a BLOG ADDICT. I'm happy to admit that. I'm also something of a blogging "newbie" and not really technical at all. LOL. But I am learning a few things as I go and I might just share them here. I figure if I can do them anyone can. Plus, it could be a helpful place for me to return when I can't remember how I did something and want to do it again! LOL.

Being a blogging addict, I have more than 1 blog. In fact this is only 1 of 3 blogs.My main blog can be found at
Lightening Online . This is where I blog about all things "me". In fact "me" is the only common theme really. You'll find a variety of thoughts ranging from life as a mum, frugality, simple living, gardening, craft projects and who knows what else.

I also write another blog called
For I Know The Plans I Have For You which is a more intimate blog detailing the spiritual side of my life.

Why keep them all separate? Apart from the fact that I may send my readers nutty if I continually post multiple posts on my main blog? I respect people's right to choose what they spend their time reading. I hope some of my readers will read all 3 blogs. But others may choose to only read 1 or 2. I hope by separating them like this, it makes that easier to do so.

I hope you enjoy this blog and come again soon!

Sunday, January 20, 2008

We Do Have a Voice

One of the things I LOVE about blogging is the chance to have a say. To have my opinion or thoughts actually heard. In fact, I think one of the reasons blogging has become so popular with "mommy" bloggers is that those of us home with our children still want to have a voice, to make a difference.

Over the past week or so, there have been a number of people expressing their voice over Jay Jay's range of Little Losers t-shirts (including yours truly).

Today I have just read a post at Imaginif stating that Jay Jay's have started to take notice of the voices of the general public and have agreed to at least remove these t-shirts from store windows and not restock those that are causing particular concern (ie those with sexual and alcohol references).

While it doesn't entirely resolve the concerns of many, it is at least a step in the right direction. I know that this isn't entirely the result of bloggers voicing their opinions. But I like to hope that in some way, they added to the overall community voice.

Here are some links to some of the blogposts on this topic:

Jay Jays is the Little Loser

National Retailer Selling Lewd T-Shirts to Kids

Mr Pimp Miss Wasted

Little Losers Not so Funny

Kids Have Enough Attitude

Harmless Fun


And some links to articles talking about the changes being made:

No More Little Losers in Shop Windows

Jay Jays Responds to Public Pressure


Obviously I'm glad that some changes have been made, regardless of who made them happen or who claims the credit for doing so. I very rarely blog about controversial or political type topics as it tends not to be in my personality to want to cause a ruckus. All the same, I feel quite pleased that blogging gives people like me the opportunity to have a voice. :-)

7 comments:

Unknown said...

Thanks for being part of this campaign Lightening. I know you don't usually get involved in these type of controversies, but some things are really worth fighting for and this was one of those occasions.

The decision by Jay Jays to halt production on the t-shirts sends a message to other retailers that the community will not tolerate this type of thing.

I blog about controversial topics and politics quite often. For me, I see the bigger picture and the wider ramifications when writing about these type of issues.

I love being a blogger because even now and then you get to be a part of something which makes the world a better place.

Deborah from www.australianwomenonline.com

Unknown said...

this was something to certainly blog about and draw attentioin to and thankfully it worked :)

libby said...

Well, I hadn't seen these before but they certainly are inappropriate. Just what are people thinking? Anyway, glad they are being stopped.
I was even more horrified a few weeks back when I read about some little girl undies (being sold at Walmart in the USA) that had "sweet and innocent...for now" written on them. Now who on earth would them for their daughters?

Libby

libby said...

Well, I hadn't seen these before but they certainly are inappropriate. Just what are people thinking? Anyway, glad they are being stopped.
I was even more horrified a few weeks back when I read about some little girl undies (being sold at Walmart in the USA) that had "sweet and innocent...for now" written on them. Now who on earth would them for their daughters?

Libby

Marita said...

I thought of this campaign when I was walking past Supre the other day and saw some of the god awful "placement Tees" they sell. Apparently a "Placement Tee" is a cheap t-shirt screen printed with some tacky message that you fork out $20 for.

lightening said...

@ Deborah - thanks so much for dropping by and for all you do to fight for a better society for all.

@ Ali - thank you. I'm glad too!

@ Libby - I don't know Libby. Honestly, some people just make me want to cry with what they call "Funny".

@ Marita - The sad thing is, if no-one made these kinds of tees, they couldn't be popular could they? In the end it all comes down to a much too greater important on the almighty dollar. :(

Anonymous said...

Strike Lightening - good for you.

Controversy is only scary because many people think that conflict equals abuse - conflict actually means change (Greek or Latin derivative). Abuse is just intolerable, whether it be verbal or in a message on a Tee Shirt, and I will never support it.

Our conflict assisted in the removal of the shirts from the window - peacefully and without abuse from any of us. Jay Jays had the right to put them there, we had the right to peacefully and calmly have our say and bring appropriate pressure to bear.

It is the silent majority that is often taken as agreeing to the dominant voice in society. I never was much good at being silent or at bowing to what others said I had to bow at.

I am not a Families First supporter but kudos to them for collating the voices of an Australian and NZ public and lobbying Jay Jays for the removal of the Tees.

Our voices count and I am so glad that you added yours to something you believed in.