Welcome to Lightening's Blogworld! A place where I blog about all things blogging, including blog reviews! I am a BLOG ADDICT. I'm happy to admit that. I'm also something of a blogging "newbie" and not really technical at all. LOL. But I am learning a few things as I go and I might just share them here. I figure if I can do them anyone can. Plus, it could be a helpful place for me to return when I can't remember how I did something and want to do it again! LOL.

Being a blogging addict, I have more than 1 blog. In fact this is only 1 of 3 blogs.My main blog can be found at
Lightening Online . This is where I blog about all things "me". In fact "me" is the only common theme really. You'll find a variety of thoughts ranging from life as a mum, frugality, simple living, gardening, craft projects and who knows what else.

I also write another blog called
For I Know The Plans I Have For You which is a more intimate blog detailing the spiritual side of my life.

Why keep them all separate? Apart from the fact that I may send my readers nutty if I continually post multiple posts on my main blog? I respect people's right to choose what they spend their time reading. I hope some of my readers will read all 3 blogs. But others may choose to only read 1 or 2. I hope by separating them like this, it makes that easier to do so.

I hope you enjoy this blog and come again soon!

Tuesday, January 15, 2008

A Little Tip

I learnt a little trick the other day that has made my internet life soooooo much easier. If you have a mouse with the little scroll wheel in the centre. Clicking on a link using that scroll button will open it in a new window.

Once upon a time I made all my links so that they would open in a new window. Why? Because I really appreciated it when others did the same. That way I didn't lose the page I was on. Then I read somewhere that it's considered bad internet etiquette to do so. BAD MANNERS??????? Well, I couldn't have that on my blog could I????? So I stopped making my links that way.

So, anyway, if you're clicking on links in any of my blogs (yes, they appear to be breeding rapidly LOL), try the little scroll button click if you'd like to open the link in a new window/tab.

Where did I learn this little tip? Why at the Aussie Bloggers Forum that's where. :-) If you'd like to go straight to the discussion where the tip was placed, you can go here. It's actually a topic on using firefox as your browser - but that's a topic for another post! :-)

5 comments:

♥.Trish.♥ Drumboys said...

just popping to say hi - great tip I was/am going to bog about this awesome tip too.

There is so much blogging fodder in the forum LOL.

I still like it to open in anew tab - that way I can flick back easily to the original. I have no idea why it bad etiquette or no idea how blogger does it when you use the link button in composing a new post ? .

I an intending to go to self hosted blog but I am concerned that traffic will drop off to drips too ... how have you found it ?

lightening said...

Hi babyamore and thanks for stopping by. :-) I had to change my links manually in blogger (there may be another way but I don't know it). You have to add "target=_blank" to the code. It's been a while since I've done it so now I can't exactly remember where it goes. I'll see if I can find an old link and get back to you on that one.

Self-hosting - well in all honesty, it rocks!!! And one of the reasons I've found it hard to keep this blog going (other than time contraints) is that it seems kind of strange to use blogger now that I'm used to using wordpress and all the functions it provides.

It takes a bit of work and promotion but my traffic has been increasing since I shifted. This one I think has trickled out because I didn't keep it updated often enough so people forgot about it. Or maybe it's not as interesting? I'm not sure which.

Anonymous said...

Hi Lightening, I didn´t realise you had this blog, but I can´t beleive it - its like you read my mind! I just started a new blog on exactly the same lines the other day - I wanted to blog about blogging and the things I´ve learnt (and have a place where I keep track of things I have done so I don´t forget), but I didn´t want to bore the readers of my other blog! I was laughing when I read your intro, because it was exactly the same reasons I started mine. How funny! My blog´s not ready yet - only one post so far, but hopefully I´ll "launch" soon. Great tip on the scroll click too. I never knew it was bad etiquette to put target blank in - I always do that because I prefer to open in a new tab! Better go change them all!

Marita said...

Cool blog. Thanks for the link from your other blog.

My mouse wheel does not click but I just automatically right click on links these days to open a new tab.

lightening said...

Hi guera - it doesn't surprise me at all. Often those who read one another's blogs have a lot of similarities. :-) I wouldn't get too worried about changing past links. When I found that out I just changed what I did from then on. I guess personal preference comes into play too.

Marita - thanks for popping by. That's good to know that a right click will also open a new tab. I wonder if that is true for all browser types or just some.

Babyamore - I just looked up my past links. The "target=_blank" goes after the actual link and directly before the >link title< section of the link code. Does that make sense?