Welcome to Lightening's Blogworld! A place where I blog about all things blogging, including blog reviews! I am a BLOG ADDICT. I'm happy to admit that. I'm also something of a blogging "newbie" and not really technical at all. LOL. But I am learning a few things as I go and I might just share them here. I figure if I can do them anyone can. Plus, it could be a helpful place for me to return when I can't remember how I did something and want to do it again! LOL.

Being a blogging addict, I have more than 1 blog. In fact this is only 1 of 3 blogs.My main blog can be found at
Lightening Online . This is where I blog about all things "me". In fact "me" is the only common theme really. You'll find a variety of thoughts ranging from life as a mum, frugality, simple living, gardening, craft projects and who knows what else.

I also write another blog called
For I Know The Plans I Have For You which is a more intimate blog detailing the spiritual side of my life.

Why keep them all separate? Apart from the fact that I may send my readers nutty if I continually post multiple posts on my main blog? I respect people's right to choose what they spend their time reading. I hope some of my readers will read all 3 blogs. But others may choose to only read 1 or 2. I hope by separating them like this, it makes that easier to do so.

I hope you enjoy this blog and come again soon!

Saturday, November 24, 2007

Blog Review: OzStudentSaver

The title on this blog reads: "Extravagance on a Budget". Sounds rather promising. :-)

One of the things that really stood out to me was how clear and uncluttered this blog is. I love the choice of layout, especially the way the 3rd column has a slightly different colour background, allowing a differentiation between the 2 sidebars.

Another interesting element on this blog was a list of recent posts at the bottom of the page, with a partial feed for each one, allowing a new reader to quickly browse these posts and choose to read any that sound interesting or relevant to their own interests. A great idea for encouraging a new reader to browse past posts.

Clearly, the emphasis of the blog is that of finding ways to cut costs and live frugally - without necessarily feeling like you have to go without the things in life you love.

Currently the most common content is that of gardening with some lovely clear photo's of the bloggers own garden. I particularly like the photo's showing container gardening - making it clear that ANYONE can grow something themselves.

I also thought the Aldi product reviews were a fantastic idea for those who might be considering trying an Aldi store and uncertain as to the quality of their products. In fact, it's an idea I myself might "pinch" as part of my "reducing the grocery budget" series. :-) Not for Aldi as we don't get Aldi here but for the more common generic branded products that I use.


WHAT WOULD I DO DIFFERENTLY IF THIS WERE MY BLOG?

* I found the use of a small heading and large advertisement in the header a little bit off-putting. I think it is something I would get used to but it drew my attention away from the blog and made it hard to quickly ascertain what I was looking at. My concern would be that a first time visitor might not take the time to move past that and move on quickly to another blog.

* At the moment the blog is a little light on content. Having been started in July, there are around 33 posts currently available to read. I prefer to read blogs with regularly updated information so wouldn't like to see any less than the 10 posts per month that seems to be the current level of posting. Some of the pages offered are currently blank and there is very little information in the blue coloured sidebar.

* I noticed a number of comments by readers had gone unacknowledged by the blogger. It may well be that they had been responded to privately or via the commenters own blog. I like to see the interaction between the blogger and the reader through the comments section of the blog so would prefer to see more comments made by the blogger.


OVERALL IMPRESSIONS AND RATING

While it is clear that this is a blog still in it's setting up stages, I think it holds a lot of promise as being a blog providing lots of information in a clear and relaxing manner. Overall I found it a joy to read.

Rating: I'm going to rate this blog a 3-star with the potential to become a 5-star blog!

You can find this blog here.


NOW IT'S YOUR TURN

This is my first blog review I've ever written. I'd really appreciate some feedback as to what people thought. Was it informative enough? Interesting enough? Accurate? Please let me know what you think. :-)

6 comments:

Jade Craven said...

Thank you for those comments. Especially for acknowledging its set up stages!

At blogspot it had better everything. I am just struggling with some of the things with the wordpress conversion. Editing the code itself is so harder than using page elements with bloggers! Thus the 'bugs' are there because I can't find the right part of the theme to fix. :(

Perhaps you could compare the Woolies VS Coles option for your blog with the homebrand products?

Lol I normally reply to all posts but had faulty internet for three days!

Thanks also for the comment on potential. I'll get the remainding posts transferred over as the contents there, just not visible as yet. I'll also focus especially on the mentioned flaws.

Ta heaps!

emma.jean said...

When I tried to add this blog to Google Reader using the RSS link, it subscribed to a blog called 'Blog oh Blog' which contained posts on blogging. Not sure what is going on there.

lightening said...

Emmajean - are you talking about student savers blog here?

Studentsaver - I'm glad you're happy with my review. Don't forget that my comments about improvements are what "I" would do so you're more than welcome to ignore any or all of them. :-)

emma.jean said...

Yep I was, but it's okay - it's been fixed by studentsaver. :)

lightening said...

Oh good, I'm glad that got sorted out. :-)

Jade Craven said...

Hey its Jade again!

I have taken on the advice of both you, and Jade H, in fixing some of the many bugs in the site. Theres still a lot of work to do but I was hoping you could give me some tips on how to improve it.

I've added a guest blogging function if your interested as well! Especially if you want to contribute to the homebrand section.

:scuttles off to do more work: